[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Aug 15 12:37:09 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 01:05:40PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > Thanks for the newegg tip.
> >
> > For amazon and ebay I keep URL cleaner bookmarklets.
>
> Tell me more about these cleaner bookmarklets, please.....

Jonathan C. Patschke runs the ebay one I use:
http://ebay.celestrion.net/

He doesn't provide a bookmarklet for it though, so here is what I put in
as a bookmark:
javascript:location.href='http://ebay.celestrion.net/?ebayurl='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)
When you click that on a ebay auction page, it takes you to a page that
shows you two options:
http://ebay.celestrion.net/120249273460
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120249273460

The amazon one is this:
javascript:myAsin=(asin)?asin:(productTags)?productTags.asin:(document.getElementById('ASIN'))?document.getElementById('ASIN').value:'';if(myAsin==''){alert('Sorry,%20couldn\'t%20find%20the%20ASIN')}else{document.location='http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/'+myAsin;}

That one replaces the URL in your URL bar with a shorter cleaner
version, so:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521663504/ref=s9cartf_r1_img0-rfc_g1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=188MDQCW32YFHJ3SV1AP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358865301&pf_rd_i=507846
becomes:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521663504
in the URL bar.

The reason that the seond one is so much uglier is that the first one
just submits the URL to a web site that cleans it, while the second one
does the hardware in place.