[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Aug 15 10:37:29 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 08:40:32AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> >Anyway, other than wireless, is the mini PCIe slot good for anything?
>
> No idea - it seems like a good idea whose time has not yet come. My
> review of the case leads me to believe the miniPCIe slot is
> internal-only, there is no way to add a card that requires an external
> connector as I recall...

That is certainly what it looks like.

It is a small disappointment not to be able to add firewire, but that
isn't really a big deal.

> >I wish I could convince more people to get stuff like this instead of
> >Pentium-D monstrosities.
>
> People don't like power bricks - it's a real stumbling block,
> IMHO. And the small size works against you for many "non-technical"
> users - it looks too much like a toy, and if it costs just as much as
> that big honkin' desktop over there...

I'm not aware of any big honkin' desktops that cost under $250, with the
exception of the Everex gPC, which turns out to be complicated to make
work with anything other than gOS.