[geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 15 08:40:32 CDT 2008

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2008/08/15 Fri AM 12:52:22 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] New Intel Atom-based barebones system

>On Aug 15, 2008, at 12:01 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> For about $140 you can get an MSI barebones system based on the
>> new, Intel Atom
>> CPU - it can take one Optical and one hard drive. It has a power-
>> brick and
>> Gigabit Ethernet...
>>
>> Link: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-
>> TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-
>> NA&Item=N82E16856167032
>>

>I appreciate your posting that.
>
>However, would you please consider putting a bookmarklet to a service
>like Shorterlink.org (Shawn's), referurl.net (mine), or bit.ly (cool
>name) in your bookmark bar and consider using it when posting such
>longer URLs?

Absolutely - no problem.

>Anyway, other than wireless, is the mini PCIe slot good for anything?

No idea - it seems like a good idea whose time has not yet come. My review of the case leads me to believe the miniPCIe slot is internal-only, there is no way to add a card that requires an external connector as I recall...

>I wish I could convince more people to get stuff like this instead of
>Pentium-D monstrosities.

People don't like power bricks - it's a real stumbling block, IMHO. And the small size works against you for many "non-technical" users - it looks too much like a toy, and if it costs just as much as that big honkin' desktop over there...

Lionel