[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:41:13 CDT 2008

On Aug 3, 2008, at 7:40 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2008, at 16:49 , Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>
>> What's cool is that both Dell & Apple will both ship you hardware
>> with your company "standard" build already on it. You can even
>> update the image easily. We don't have them do it, for what reason
>> i don't know. I don't remember what level agreement it requires
>> with either, but I know we wouldn't pony up the $$$$ for Apple.
>
> Cooler would be instructions on doing it ourselves.
>
> It should be a lot easier to customize Apple installs than a lot of
> other systems.
>
> Really, the only missing part is information, and it probably is
> fairly simple.
>
> Some people are making progress, so I think we'll get it soon
> regardless of what Apple does.

I believe the reason that Mike Bombich was hired by Apple was largely
due to his working in ciphering out netbooting/imaging of Mac OS X
boxes.  You might want to dig around on his web pages for info and/or
find more resources.

 From the talk that I attended back in the 10.3 days, in retrospect,
it seems very similar to how flash archives for Solaris work, though
at the time I didn't know about FLAR and could only compare it to
jumpstart.

It would be interesting to find out if you could trigger one remotely
as Lionel was mentioning as a "wish".  You could definitely do what he
was looking for with Zen for the Windows side of the house.

=Nadine=