[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 09:43:39 CDT 2008

>> What's cool is that both Dell & Apple will both ship you hardware with
>> your company "standard" build already on it. You can even update the
>> image easily. We don't have them do it, for what reason i don't know.
>> I don't remember what level agreement it requires with either, but I
>> know we wouldn't pony up the $$$$ for Apple.
>
> Cooler would be instructions on doing it ourselves.
>
> It should be a lot easier to customize Apple installs than a lot of
> other systems.
>
> Really, the only missing part is information, and it probably is fairly
> simple.
>
> Some people are making progress, so I think we'll get it soon regardless
> of what Apple does.

There are instructions. Or were at least, I'm not able to find them on
Apple's website off hand. It's all part of Apple's Netboot install
software which works fairly well, but honestly still has a long ways to
before they can really get into Enterprise better.

You can also find a lot of information about customizing OS X installs
from the Filewave guys. Their software does a search and replace of
plist files from a central server. It gives a very high degree of
customization and works fairly well. But playing with it you rapidly
realize that Apple has made some fairly dumb design choices from an
Enterprise point of view.

--
Rick Hamell
Tech Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog