[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 12:13:57 CDT 2008

>From: Robert Brooke Gravitt <gravitt at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/08/04 Mon AM 07:48:55 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

>On Aug 3, 2008, at 10:40 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Cooler would be instructions on doing it ourselves.
>
>I don't know, coming off the assembly line with your standard build
>already on it is pretty cool - being able to just plug it in to the
>network and go once unboxed is pretty cool too.

I briefly worked for an IBM division that had several facilities around the country, each of which custom-built/prep'd systems for remote installs. The basic ide was a warehouse full of systems, and an inventory of pre-built system images - a client would call up, order a system for delivery at location "X", and that set the wheels in motion. At the assigned facility the system would be assembled from parts on-hand, the image pre-loaded, and all required accessories and cables would be included in one big overpack that would be shipped via FedEx Express for 8:00 AM delivery anywhere in the country. To meet the delivery was an IBM Service Rep, and s/he would install the system upon arrival.

You could have a fully prepped system installed anywhere in the USA within 24 hours (you could order they system as late as 4:00 - 5:00 and still make overnight delivery - the facilities were next to airports with FedEx terminals).

Of course, you paid a premium for speed, and the bread and butter of the business was doing complete retail store and remote office cutovers overnight, in as many locations as you liked...

I was a consultant to the project (I helped address customer support issues between the internal facilities and the development team of the REXX & SQL/DS solution that ran the operation), but was fascinated by the power that gave the customers...

Lionel