[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 2 15:17:49 CDT 2008

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>Date: 2008/08/02 Sat PM 01:44:53 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

>On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> The only real pain I feel in a Windows install is the *repeated* passes
>> through Windows Update to get *all* the updates related to previously
>> downloaded updates...
>
>You can use a tool like nLite to slipstream in most updates (and bundle in
>drivers that weren't part of the OS).  I made a few model-specific CDs for
>$ork that install SP3 plus support for all the hardware, and then included
>many of our site-specific apps on the remainder of the CD.  The end result
>is something as nice as any manufacturer's "restore CD" plus the added
>bonus of it not being laden with crapware.
>
>I've heard you can even install Office and Visual Studio from that
>procedure if you use DVD media, but there's the chance that the
>installation will take "too long" and the fixed-duration timer in the
>Windows installation program will kill that portion of setup.

At $WORK we simply build an image manually, then use GHOST to deploy it around the various machines...

We haven't had time/need to investigate using the proper SYSPREP tools to make our images, GHOST is adequate for our current needs (imaging several hundred desktops of varying models with one of about 5 images over the summer recess)...

Lionel