[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Aug 2 12:44:53 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The only real pain I feel in a Windows install is the *repeated* passes
> through Windows Update to get *all* the updates related to previously
> downloaded updates...

You can use a tool like nLite to slipstream in most updates (and bundle in
drivers that weren't part of the OS).  I made a few model-specific CDs for
$ork that install SP3 plus support for all the hardware, and then included
many of our site-specific apps on the remainder of the CD.  The end result
is something as nice as any manufacturer's "restore CD" plus the added
bonus of it not being laden with crapware.

I've heard you can even install Office and Visual Studio from that
procedure if you use DVD media, but there's the chance that the
installation will take "too long" and the fixed-duration timer in the
Windows installation program will kill that portion of setup.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi