[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 2 12:03:16 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/08/01 Fri PM 06:56:05 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

>On Aug 1, 2008, at 15:12 , Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>> But as you said, this is not something the everyday user is going to
>> do.  I know *techs* that aren't even aware of these tools
>> (admittedly they are independent types, not enterprise, types, but
>> still).
>
>Normally true, however...
>
>Windows installation is amazingly painful, and so installation mods
>are quite popular.  I'm a little suspicious of a "tech" who isn't
>aware of this.

Really? How so? I find WinXP install no more painful than previous versions of Solaris install process (Solaris 8 or 9, say). Windows Vista is even easier, and remember most current model pre-built PCs come with custom "recovery" discs (or partitions) that simplify re-installs even more.

The only real pain I feel in a Windows install is the *repeated* passes through Windows Update to get *all* the updates related to previously downloaded updates...

Lionel