[geeks] Wal-Mart

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Nov 30 09:19:23 CST 2007

" From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
"
" Lionel Peterson wrote:
" >From the little I've seen on this topic (a couple cable news channel specials over the past few years) it seems the issue is that WalMart presses manufacturers to keep lowerering their prices until they have to starf Mfg. in China to keep their items on WalMart shelves. Some large companies let WalMart go as a client, but it is a significant hit to their bottom line. Many small companies are squeezed to the point of squealing badly, but still make their deal with the devil to get their product out there - and once it is out there, they can't get free of WalMarts grip (they are the largest single market for many, many small businesses).
"
" Snapper told'em, "No, we will not partner with you; a partnering
" agreement with Wal-Mart would eventually destroy Snapper."

i've heard this too.  snapper essentially said 'we can't meet your
price for our product without losing money; we can't make a cheaper
walmart special model without destroying our brand reputation; we
can't move production offshore in our highly-seasonal business and
stay responsive to market cycles.  and besides which, we want to
employ american workers and keep the money in this country'.