[geeks] Compare and contrast:

Aaron Finley nerp at atfinley.com
Thu Nov 29 14:00:47 CST 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> AT&T-Cingular [about 15 minutes ago]:
> "No signal?  Oh dear, sorry to hear that.  Well, if we can't get you
> signal, we can't sell you service, and we can't charge you an early
> termination fee.  Let us know if you want us to help you port your
> existing number to another carrier."

AT&T-Cingular [about 1 month ago]

Them: Hello? You want to cancel, there will be a $175 early termination fee.

Me: But it's only been 15 days.

Them: Oh. Let me transfer you.

-- 45 minutes later and 4 transfers --

Them: Oh ok, you won't be charged a $175 termination fee. We will send
you a new bill. You don't need to pay your existing bill, pay the new one.

-- 7 days pass --

Me: Hello, you charged me both a $175 termination fee, even though I
cancelled within 30 days, and you charged me a $35 activation fee, which
should have been waived for my company.

Them: Oh. Let me transfer you.

-- 45 minutes later and 6 transfers --

Them: Oh, we also charged you a late fee for your previous bill. But we
won't charge you a $175 termination fee. And we've waived the activation
fee. And I'll waive the late fee.

YMMV.

-- Aaron