[geeks] A change in the cell phone market comes

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 28 11:28:29 CST 2007

>From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>Date: 2007/11/28 Wed AM 09:03:17 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] A change in the cell phone market comes

>James Fogg wrote:
>> Verizon has announced it's opening their network to non-VZ phones. It's
>> surprising the market since VZ has been one of the most protective
>> providers. The details aren't final.
>>
>> Industry pundits think VZ is trying to get in front of a future consumer
>> wave demanding open networks and open phones. They pointed to the iPhone
>> and the apparently real Google phone project as some reasons.
>
>Does this mean they're going to stop intentionally crippling phones?
>I'd switch to Verizon if I could have Verizon's network and a
>non-crippled phone.

As I read the posting I saw, Verizon will "certify" models for use on their network, and will test them for compatibility in a new state-of-the-art facility currently being built.

I suspect Verizon is tiring of trying to attract customers by throwing a several hundred dollar discount on smart phones, and instead allow customers to bring their own phone to the carrier. I suspect *some* of the money in the monthly rate used to subsidise handsets for new contracts will be reflected in lower monthly rates... Some.

Lionel