[geeks] Portable Mac Compatible MP3 Recorders

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon Nov 26 16:26:55 CST 2007

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:44:50 -0800, Rick  Hamell wrote:
> I'd like to stay in the $150 range if possible. Amazon has the iRiver
> H1 for fairly cheap, the Sandisk SDMX4 -
> http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-SDMX4-4096-Sansa-Player-Expansion/dp/tech-data
> /B000ETVKHE/ref=de_a_smtd

I think the Sansa is normally called the e250-e280. This has the
advantage that you can install Rockbox (http://rockbox.org) onto it
which has a fairly lively recording community and a number of recording
options unlikely to be available on low-end digital recorders (wavpack
encoding, etc).

Rockbox has the ability to use voice menus, and it has themes ... so
you can replace some 20-year old's idea of a funky-looking screen with
something readable. The default theme is excessively plain.

> Which all look good. But not a single one says it's Mac compatible,
> nor does my late night searching of Google.

If you're interested enough I can drag my Macbook into work tomorrow
and mess with a co-worker's Rockboxed Sansa.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 ... a software firewall is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.