[geeks] Portable Mac Compatible MP3 Recorders

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Nov 26 11:47:01 CST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> MacOS being BSD based, uses a similar driver to Linux, which is
>> different enoough from the Windows drivers that many of the cheap MP3
>> players won't work with them.
>
> s/BSD/MACH/
>
> The BSD bits are in the userland, not the kernel or IOkit.

Not true.

BSD also handles processes, user control, POSIX API, systems calls,
networking and firewalls, filesystems, VFS layer, IPC, cryptography,
and most of the synchronous I/O systems.

XNU handles the low level kernel functions like tasks, threads, memory
protection, low level IPC, interrupts, etc.

Here's a good overview:

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html

--
Shannon Hendrix