[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 02:06:36 CST 2007

> Does anyone have any experience with T-Mobile?
>
>  From what I have read, they don't lock the phones up as much, and
> almost all unlocked phones work with their service as well.

> Verizon turns the whole country red, but doesn't let you zoom in very
> far.  T-Mobile defaults to maps of your city, which makes it look more
> spotty.

I use a cheap Samsung phone on T-Mobile with the pre-paid plan. They had a
special about two years ago, that if you bought $100 worth of Pre-paid, you
had a year to use it. Since it takes me about 6 months to use the 1000
minutes I get at $100, it's worth it to me.

But their coverage sucks. I drive up the I-5 corridor to Seattle fairly
often and loose reception outside any of the cities. Granted there isn't
anything in between Seattle and Portland worth noting anyways so it's not
that big of a loss.

The reception on the local towers seems to be pretty bad too. I can not get
coverage in the server room, while AT&T gets there fine. Step outside and
it's full bars.

But for what I'm paying and how little I use them, they work for me.

Interestingly enough work provides me with a BlackBerry also on T-Mobile. I
have the same reception problems, but can't comment on the service or it's
costs since I don't see the bill or deal with them when there are issues.

Rick