[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 24 01:50:25 CST 2007

Regarding the cell phone conversations: I've found a couple of phones
I like, so that problem is solved.

Next up is where to move to from Sprint.

Verizon seems to get high marks for coverage and signal.

Does anyone have any experience with T-Mobile?

 From what I have read, they don't lock the phones up as much, and
almost all unlocked phones work with their service as well.

Every company does their cell coverage maps a little different, so it
is very hard to compare them.

Verizon turns the whole country red, but doesn't let you zoom in very
far.  T-Mobile defaults to maps of your city, which makes it look more
spotty.

It's virtually impossible to compare them, so any references to sites
which track coverage and signal would be appreciated.

I will update on anything I find.

Anyway, today looking at phones, I was a little happier because there
appear to be saner phones out now.  Motorola in particular does a good
job of keeping unused features out of your way and they've improved
the buttons and screens.

I even found a couple of models that are just phones, which is nice.

The plans are another story: none of them are what I want, and all of
them cost more than I want to pay, but there seems to be no way around
that.

Again, T-Mobile is interesting because it has a $40 plan that is 1500
any time minutes, no night and weekend unlimited.

Verizon has 434/unlimited plans for $40/month, which is better than
what I have ($35 for 200/unlimited after 9pm).

It's almost a full time job to compare all of this mess, and a good
portion is deliberately obscure.

On a related note: cell data plans cost too much.  Are there any
decent phones out there with WIFI?

I could deal with only being able to use it in a hot spot if such a
beast exists.

I probably would not like the UI on such a phone, but I'm curious
enough to know how others like them if they've found any.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com