[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 24 01:07:50 CST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 7:54 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> When you compare to many schools that are teaching "These will be the
> questions that are on the test", or at least focusing tightly on the
> material they know the test will cover, a school that's teaching more
> broadly focused material emphasizing teaching the students to think
> for
> themselves is likely to not do as well.  On the other hand, when the
> Montessori (etc) kids come up against something new they've never
> encountered before, they're going to have a fighting chance, while the
> "taught to the test" kids are mostly going to be lost without a clue.

Amen!

Take a look at how poorly expert working professionals often do on
tests.

My college professor couldn't pass a test to save himself, but he has
40 years of atomic and optical research and experimentation under his
belt.

Want high SAT scores for your kid?  No problem, they can be bought,
just like school accreditation can be bought.

It's a multi-million dollar industry.