[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 24 00:55:10 CST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 7:05 PM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>> Montessori and similar schools are very good, but tend to do poorly
>> on
>> standardized testing, because they're not teaching the kids the
>> ordained
>> test material ... they're teaching them how to think, how to learn,
>> how
>> to be inventive and think outside the box.
>
> Shouldn't the tests be a piece a cake for those children?  Or they
> teaching
> "higher" level thinking withuot the lower level thinking with it.
> Sounds
> just as bad to me if that is the case.

The tests teach little more than rote memorization and there is a
multi-million dollar industry supplying materials to guarantee that
you pass if you'll just put the time in.

Ditto for SAT and most of the rest.

Accreditation can also be "studied for" by local school systems, and
there again there is a huge industry supply consultants to help
schools pass.

It's very easy to be very good at high and "low" level thinking, and
be unable to pass the bullshit test we force on students today.