[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Nov 23 23:19:24 CST 2007

> The problem is that many schools, to score well on the standardized
> testing, are teaching ONLY the material that will be on the test, and
> drilling it over and over to try to maximize their scores to get more money.

Or keep the state/feds from closing them down.  That was the complaint
with the NY Reagents exams.

> When you compare to many schools that are teaching "These will be the
> questions that are on the test", or at least focusing tightly on the
> material they know the test will cover, a school that's teaching more
> broadly focused material emphasizing teaching the students to think for
> themselves is likely to not do as well.  On the other hand, when the
> Montessori (etc) kids come up against something new they've never
> encountered before, they're going to have a fighting chance, while the
> "taught to the test" kids are mostly going to be lost without a clue.

But it was stated that they don't do well on those tests. (?)
Well, in NJ the science section of the HESPA was passed by
ony 40% of the students taking it.  Now I remember an announcement
last year that all of the students in my school did pass it.
The science department didn't do anything special.  We never focused
on passing the test, just did what we always did, try to teach for
understanding.  Money doesn't matter, there is always less next year.

Bob