[geeks] a cell phone that doesn't suck

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:56:41 CST 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2007/11/23 Fri AM 02:32:21 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] a cell phone that doesn't suck
>
>> On Nov 22, 2007, at 11:12 PM, Aaron Finley wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> until I was forced to upgrade due to 911 GPS
>>> regulations or whatnot.
>> ...which should be completely optional.
>
> IIRC, the carriers need to have 911 solutions, akin to the VoIP solutions they have come up with. The resolution is, again, IIRC, just a bit to fine to be arrived at by triangulation with existing cell towers...
>
>> If I do not want to be tracked, that's my decision, and I'm willing to
>> pay the consequences if I so choose.
>
> I just heard a news reader on CNN talk about how the government can track cell phone users location (to within a block even if the phones are turned *off*!
>
> Uh, no. I don't think that cellphones work when they are turned off... You have to be able to turn phones *completely* off on airplanes, for instance...

This relates to an earlier story about some LE agency tracking down a
suspect through their phone.  Certain models of phones can be turned on
remotely without the end user's knowledge.  Phone model was not given in
the story I am remembering, but at a guess, I'd say it was a Nextel
phone.  However, for privacy-concerned folks, if you really want your
phone *off* take out the battery.  I'm quite sure no manufacturer/
carrier is going to give you the low-down as to whether your phone is
one of those that can be turned on remotely.

=Nadine=