[geeks] a cell phone that doesn't suck

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 23 16:26:08 CST 2007

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/11/23 Fri AM 02:32:21 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] a cell phone that doesn't suck

>On Nov 22, 2007, at 11:12 PM, Aaron Finley wrote:

<snip>

>> until I was forced to upgrade due to 911 GPS
>> regulations or whatnot.
>
>...which should be completely optional.

IIRC, the carriers need to have 911 solutions, akin to the VoIP solutions they have come up with. The resolution is, again, IIRC, just a bit to fine to be arrived at by triangulation with existing cell towers...

>If I do not want to be tracked, that's my decision, and I'm willing to
>pay the consequences if I so choose.

I just heard a news reader on CNN talk about how the government can track cell phone users location (to within a block even if the phones are turned *off*!

Uh, no. I don't think that cellphones work when they are turned off... You have to be able to turn phones *completely* off on airplanes, for instance...

Lionel