[geeks] a cell phone that doesn't suck

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Nov 23 02:32:21 CST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 11:12 PM, Aaron Finley wrote:

> I used a Motorola StarTAC

Neat little phone.

> until I was forced to upgrade due to 911 GPS
> regulations or whatnot.

...which should be completely optional.

If I do not want to be tracked, that's my decision, and I'm willing to
pay the consequences if I so choose.

Fortunately, you can get firmware to turn that off, and a lot of other
annoying crap.

Just wait until the pigs finally bribe Congress enough to make GPS
mandatory all the time, along with targeted ads, etc.

> I really don't see the point in using a 1-1.3 MP
> camera to take photos with.

Definitely.

I can *almost* see having a PDA in the phone, except that most of the
PDA software on phones is crappy, to the point where there is almost
no point.

Also, why do they make it so hard to do something as simple as load
and save phone number lists?

I asked Sprint how to do that 2 years ago, and they showed me a box
with a cable in it and a CD and told me it was $70.

*ALL* of the crippling of phones and other devices is wrong, period.

If the device can do it, you as the buyer should be able to use it
however you please.

Cell phones suck bad enough as it is.

On more peeve before I quit (notices it is 0330): why on Earth doesn't
every phone out there do the simple act of showing you what your time
usage is?  Is it really that damned hard?

> When you need to be able to call people and hear them and have them
> hear
> you, why worry about whether it costs $1.25 to send a picture you will
> never send in the first place? (My logic, at least)

The point is you bought the device, and should be allowed to use its
functions however you see fit.

I have an idea: All consumer devices devices like this should come
with a button labeled "annoyed".  Every time a user gets annoyed they
press that button.  What it does is report the problem, and also pick
a random executive at the parent company and electrocute their private
parts.

Of course, I have to admit some possibility of abuse.

I'd immediately fire up Windows and write a script to push the button
every ten seconds.