[geeks] a cell phone that doesn't suck

Aaron Finley nerp at atfinley.com
Thu Nov 22 22:12:54 CST 2007

> Verizon's superior coverage in New Hampshire does tempt me.  I'm using a
> Cingular phone currently, because Cymru's job gave her a Cingular phone
> and we get free in-network calling.  Unfortunately, Cingular/AT&T's
> network coverage isn't the best, and up here in Gilford it's more miss
> than hit.  But every time I think about Verizon's superior coverage, I'm
> reminded that they intentionally cripple all their phones with a
> lowest-common-denominator one-size-fits-all interface that prevents the
> owner using the device as the manufacturer intended -- and frequently so
> that the bastards can screw you out of another buck.

I use my phone to call people. I have a DSLR to take photos with that
connects to my computer. I have a light laptop and an aircard to SSH on
the road. What is most important to me when it comes to my cellular
service is reception. Verizon is the only network that I have tried that
  is worth paying for.

I used a Motorola StarTAC until I was forced to upgrade due to 911 GPS
regulations or whatnot. I really don't see the point in using a 1-1.3 MP
camera to take photos with.

When you need to be able to call people and hear them and have them hear
you, why worry about whether it costs $1.25 to send a picture you will
never send in the first place? (My logic, at least)

-- Aaron