[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 22 21:04:11 CST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 7:12 PM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>> Yes, but if the teachers are making an issue out of that, it sounds
>> like whining to me.
>>
>> As a programmer, huge amounts of my work has gone unpaid.  That's
>> pretty normal for a lot of people in programming and administration
>> work.
>
> It shouldn't be.  Why do programmers allow that to happen?  Sounds
> like
> someone pulled a real "stupid" in the past.

Programmers don't usually have the power to do much about it.

It's pretty normal outside of government jobs to work 50 hours or more
per week, but you are paid for 40, across almost all professions.

I think you should get paid for your overtime, but some people take
that to extremes and include personal activities.

>> I wish I could bitch at someone and get paid for it or not have to do
>> it.
>
> Oh, so if I don't like working for nothing, I have to be whining
> because
> someone else works for nothing.  I don't think so.

If you require payment for every bit of work you do, yes that is
whining.

Other unions do the same thing, and yes, I think that's whining too.

If people are being reasonable and are trying to get paid for working
overtime, that's fine, and I agree with them.

But locally teachers have even managed to get paid for volunteer work,
and other activities that everyone else does as part of self training
and keeping themselves in shape.

That's just not right.

As a programmer I frequently spend hours studying.  I don't get paid
for it.

Local teachers do.

One of the more recent demands has been that they shouldn't have to
pay for their education either, after all, other government workers
get training for their jobs.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com