[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 22 19:22:49 CST 2007

>From: Robert Brooke Gravitt <gravitt at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/11/22 Thu PM 05:29:08 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] OLPCs for sale...

<snip>

>My wife being an educator ( 11+ years as a high school English
>teacher, ) I am intimately aware of the demands, hours, and
>absurdities placed on those working within the government education
>system.  Her after-hour activities related to school ( grading,
>planning, etc ) did push her overall hours closer to those of a
>typical 9-5, as well as pushing the $$/hour based on salary down. She
>made more money coaching soccer after hours 2-3 days a week than her
>salary.

Wait, do you mean make more "per hour" coaching than teaching? In a perfect
world, she should make 1.5 times her base hourly pay (based on her scheduled
hours) - well, maybe not "perfect", perhaps logical world...

>I do, however, believe ( based on my experience ) that most educators
>tend to work from 8-3, and those like you and my wife are the
>fortunate ( for the students ) exceptions.

Those are the teachers that make a difference and stand out on campus - the
other ones tend to blend into the scenery...

Lionel