[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Robert Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 17:29:08 CST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 12:13 AM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> If I only had an hour of work to do when I get home every day, I
> would consider myself lucky.  :)  My day is more than just 8:00-
> 3:10.  I once figrued out how much time I actually put into my
> job and it turned out to be equivalent to a 9-5 job with a one
> week vacation in the summer.
>
> Bob

I'm sure you work many more than 1 hour extra a week :)

I was trying to say that I don't know of many private-sector full-time
employees who only work a 40 hour workweek, specifically in the IT/
software development fields. I'm accustomed to a 50+ hour work week,
and while I was running my previous businesses on the side, it was an
easy 70.

My wife being an educator ( 11+ years as a high school English
teacher, ) I am intimately aware of the demands, hours, and
absurdities placed on those working within the government education
system.  Her after-hour activities related to school ( grading,
planning, etc ) did push her overall hours closer to those of a
typical 9-5, as well as pushing the $$/hour based on salary down. She
made more money coaching soccer after hours 2-3 days a week than her
salary.

I do, however, believe ( based on my experience ) that most educators
tend to work from 8-3, and those like you and my wife are the
fortunate ( for the students ) exceptions.

--Brooke