[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Nov 16 19:07:13 CST 2007

> I was required to buy a DEC Pro 350 for $1,600 when I entered Stevens
> Institute of Technology in Hoboken, it was a true fiasco. Kids got to take a
> half-credit class in FORTRAN, did their drafting homework with pencils, and
> they had to rewire the freshman dorms to have something like 15-20 amps per
> dorm room, in case all the students decided to turn on both computers while
> their dorm fridge was on. That was some very thick wire (the copper core was
> as thick as a #2 pencil...
>
> Oh, and for output we got to sneaker net floppies to the library and use one
> of their dot matrix printers - it was real fun when the library computers died
> the day before a major homework assignment was due - the teachers showed no
> mercy "you waited to the last minute and didn't have a contingency plan"...
>
> Oh, and the "Women in Engineering" initiative, that got over 100 freshmen
> girls on campus... I think the next year there were 20 sophomore girls - I
> wonder if the 80 smart girls that failed out decided to stick with
> engineering???

I heard those stories from former students.  Pretty funny.

My wife once took graduate courses there and was worried that she would have
to buy a Dec Rainbow.  Luckily, graduate students didn't have to.
Unfortunately, one course was taught by someone who worked for a competator.
Most students that worked for some one else failed the course.  Very
mysterious. :)

Bob