[geeks] ZFS *panics* two machines when I try to import bad pool

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sat Nov 10 00:34:12 CST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 04:16, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> I've heard of this kind of thing. Your data should still be intact.
> SATA cables are notorious for not doing well with noise and
> interference.
>
> http://www.crypticide.com/dropsafe/article/2162

Man. I just got annoyed enough to reload the original operating system
that this ZFS filesystem was created with - Nevada b44, to be exact -
and `zpool import -f tank`. I'm happy to report no kernel panics! It
just completed a resilvering and says there are no errors.

However, I'm not sure his problem was my problem - I'm hardly using
SATA at all. IIRC there's a connector of only an inch or two between
the drive and the USB converter board. USB cables are used for the
majority of the trip between RAM and disk. I've never heard of USB
shielding being a problem, but I guess it isn't out of the question.

He never talked about kernel panics either.

I don't really care, though, as long as this works :). I'll report
back when I know something.

  - Micah