[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 27 20:12:28 CDT 2007

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> This is not a Linux limit, it's a choice.
>
> I don't think you're right:
>
> http://www.polywell.com/us/support/faq/4GB_Rev1.pdf

I was responding to an Ubuntu article you posted.  In the article a guy said he
could not *ADDRESS* all of his memory.

He was using Ubuntu Edgy Eft, which defaulted to a limited memory model kernel.

Thus, it was a choice, not a Linux limit.  He could have chosen another kernel
or built his own and fixed the problem.

The PDF file you reference above is talking about something completely
different: address space taken up by memory mapped I/O.

Of course a device that wants address space has to take it from the system.

All modern machines with memory mapped I/O have that issue.  von Neuman
architecture... all devices, physical RAM included, use the same address
space.

> I don't think there's anything Linux can do about that.

Of course not, but it has zip to do with your original post... :)

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto