[geeks] automatic speed setting for terminals in *BSD

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 26 14:13:04 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a machine for serial console support, and the
> situation is such that the speed of the terminal will not be known.
>
> I duplicated the std.* entries in getty tab and called them auto.*, and
> gave each one an nx entry to jump to the next speed configuration.

Talking to myself:

It seems that /etc/ttys speed entries are ignored for the kernel's console.
Whatever speed the console is set to, it stays there evidently.

I wasn't even able to manually change the speed of the console with stty.

Therefore, it seems like variable speeds on the serial console are not possible.

I think that sucks though, so I'd love to hear that I'm wrong.

Oh, and this is X86 architecture, BTW.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto