[geeks] automatic speed setting for terminals in *BSD

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 26 12:42:34 CDT 2007

I'm trying to configure a machine for serial console support, and the
situation is such that the speed of the terminal will not be known.

I duplicated the std.* entries in getty tab and called them auto.*, and
gave each one an nx entry to jump to the next speed configuration.

However, it doesn't appear to work with terminals.

Another issue is that I can't count on the users knowing to send a NULL
or a BRK to change speeds.  Ideally they would be able to just hit
return/enter a few times to get a good prompt.

Is there a way to get auto speed negiotation for serial terminals from
getty, or should I just force users to use 9600bps?

What I've done:

/etc/ttys

ttyd0  "/usr/libexec/getty auto.9600 vt100 on secure

/etc/gettytab

auto.9600:\
	:np:sp#9600:nx=auto.19200
auto.19200:\
	:np:sp#19200:nx=auto.38400

...and so on.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto