[geeks] You forget how quiet the Mac Pro is until...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:07:20 CDT 2007

On 22 Jun 2007, at 16:14, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Mark <md.benson at gmail.com>
>> Date: 2007/06/21 Thu PM 05:47:13 CDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: [geeks] You forget how quiet the Mac Pro is until...
>
>> ...you switch on a U60 with a pair of 1.6" IBM 36GB drives in :) It
>> was good to use the old beasty again tho - it still makes me glow
>> using Solaris 10 on it. It's  also currently still the most RAM
>> infested machine on my desk at a mere 1.5GB.
>
> The Ultra "tower" machines are insulated to reduce noise - that is
> something
> left out of many current designs...

My U60 doesn't exactly have the best pair of drives in it for the
job. they are really old but really good 7.2k IBM 1.6" drives, they
sound like popcorn maklers on ovverdrive when they seek

Most BTX machines I've used don't seem need it, especially the MAc
PRo and the Dell Precision workstations, even the Optiplex 740. ATX
is just a crap design, but I guess it dates from 1998 when CPUs and
GFX cards didn't put out much heat.

The biggest problem I have with modern machines is beats interference
from multiple 7.2k or 10k drives. That drove me nuts until I sorted
it out in my Mac Pro.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: