[geeks] monitoring traffic on my switched LAN

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 13 18:10:03 CDT 2007

Doug McLaren wrote:

> | The graphics probably do 99% of what I want anyway.
> |
> | > Also, information on collecting SNMP info from SnapGear units is at
> | > http://www.cyberguard.info/snapgear/cgi-bin/fom?_highlightWords=mrtg&file=240
> |
> | Anyone know where I could get a good configuration for a 3Com superstack 3300?
> |
> | mrtg configuration is a bitch, at least it is to me.
>
> That's not mrtg's fault.  snmp is tricky in general, but mrtg can
> auto-do much of it.

Understood.  I tried to write a program to parse the walk stream... I've never
seen so much crap in my life.

Another issue is that some devices feel free to change snmp device numbers willy
nilly, and some of them tell lies.  For example, saying ports are down that are
not, or reporting their speed as zero, etc.

I finally settled on cfgmaker with options to get as close as I could, then
hand-edited that.

I was going to use scripts and a template to auto-generate it each night, but
ran into two major problems:

	- a lot of the template and filter stuff is broken and the dox warn
	  it is changing
	- my router frequently fails to respond to snmp walks

Number two... no idea why it does that, as it doesn't appear to be particular
busy when it happens.  However, the router changes very rarely, so I could
do without that.

In the end I decided it would be nice, but not nice enough to warrant the work.

> rrdtool is harder to configure, but more flexible.

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm out of time for playing with this.  I have the
basics and should be OK now.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto