[geeks] monitoring traffic on my switched LAN

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Wed Jun 13 11:20:01 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:14:02PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

| > MRTG? Makes pretty graphs from snmp queries. http://www.mrtg.org
|
| I'd like something that gave me text reports and parsable data, but I can work
| on that later.

rrdtool is more flexible.  You can emit the data in xml format if you
wish.  (But mrtg probably has a way to do that too.)

| The graphics probably do 99% of what I want anyway.
|
| > Also, information on collecting SNMP info from SnapGear units is at
| > http://www.cyberguard.info/snapgear/cgi-bin/fom?_highlightWords=mrtg&file=240
|
| Anyone know where I could get a good configuration for a 3Com superstack 3300?
|
| mrtg configuration is a bitch, at least it is to me.

That's not mrtg's fault.  snmp is tricky in general, but mrtg can
auto-do much of it.

rrdtool is harder to configure, but more flexible.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
Ducharme's Axiom: If you view your problem closely enough you will
recognize yourself as part of the problem.