[geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Jun 1 09:38:51 CDT 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:18:50 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:14:51PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > I actually don't think the majority of the American people are
> > frightened of terrorists.  Most of the ones I know of are angry and
> > determined.  But Congress is terrified, wetting its pants and
> > trying to hide in the corner.
>
> You should be afraid, very afraid.

Of politicians ? They seem to be damaging our way of life much more
than the terrorists.

Terrorist atrocities are atrocious of course, but they really aren't
that common and don't claim that many victims in comparison to other
causes of death such as road accidents or cancer. Doesn't mean we
shouldn't take sensible precautions just like we do to prevent
accidents and avoid cancer.

> But that should not stop you from
> going about your lives, doing things you do all the time.

If we change our lives in response to the "nutters of god" (to use a
phrase from Roy Harper), then we've handed them a victory. And that
includes living in fear.

If you think I'm coming out with complete drivel, bear in mind that the
year I was born was the start of the "troubles" in NI, have lost count
of the number of 'bomb scares' I've been caught up in, have a brother
who has been within earshot of 5 London bombings, and have lived less
than 1/10 of my lifetime without the threat of terrorism. In fact the
place where I take vacations most frequently is another country with
terrorist problems (Northern Spain).

Doesn't mean I'm not speaking drivel of course :)

(the whole mess in the middle-east is another matter of course)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Why are we hiding from the police, daddy?"