[geeks] sun solaris 10 and studio 11 free dvds

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 30 16:42:33 CST 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/11/30 Thu PM 02:39:48 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] sun solaris 10 and studio 11 free dvds

>Thu, 30 Nov 2006 @ 14:26 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:
>
>> I got it to work for me (eventually), but I had some battles with
>> Vista (the OS) *hiding* the .iso files after they were downloaded...
>
>That's quite insane.
>
>Oh, I mean...
>
>Obviously you were messing with something you shouldn't have been, and
>Papa Bill was trying to guide you.
>
>Just click on the shiny stuff and leave those isos alone.  They aren't
>good for anything but illegal copies of Windows after all.
>
>> Eventually the files turned up, but it wasn't trivial...
>
>Where did it put them?
>
>Just when you think the stupidity of hidden file extensions might go
>away...

The issue SEEMED to be that I didn't have any application registered for .iso files, and that caused them to be regarded as system files. Also, I think the DVD images were still being copied from the temp location they are downloaded to where I wanted them to be (since they were HTTP downloads), and the transfer was being performed in the background - meaning if I waited an indeterminate amount of time I would have seen the files...

In the end, all the files where where I wanted them to be, but not as soon as I expected them to be there...

Lionel