[geeks] IBM rant

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 30 14:30:54 CST 2006

Thu, 30 Nov 2006 @ 12:56 -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> I don't want to start a flamefest, but it appears, for my workload at
> least, that Solaris has a better VM/swap subsystem, and that on

Now, yes. It used to be pretty slack, just like most UNIX. Same for I/O
handling and really heavy interactive pressure.

> Opteron, memory writes and reads are faster (or maybe that is the task
> scheduler, not sure).  My take is that many Solaris workloads (Oracle
> and other large apps) stress the VM, so they have spent time working on
> it.

Sun has that in common with Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD, all three of
which have made major VM changes to counter ever increasing VM pressure
from high server loads.

NetBSD made the most recent big changes, and it doesn't even run on the
largest hardware like the other two.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.