[geeks] IBM rant

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Nov 30 11:56:39 CST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
> "
> "
> " Solaris runs better (given enough RAM) than Linux does IMHO.
>
> it's only logical.  sunos and even solaris started out on what is by
> current standards extremely small, expensive machines, and they've
> of necessity learned important lessons about performance and stability
> under load, conditions that linux developers with modern cheap fast
> hardware are unlikely to ever encounter.  bloat in thigs like gnome
> and kde are a corollary.

I don't want to start a flamefest, but it appears, for my workload at
least, that Solaris has a better VM/swap subsystem, and that on
Opteron, memory writes and reads are faster (or maybe that is the task
scheduler, not sure).  My take is that many Solaris workloads (Oracle
and other large apps) stress the VM, so they have spent time working on
it.

Many Linux workloads fit well in a 4GB RAM footprint, so buying a
system with 2-4GB never results in stresses on the VM subsystem.

--Patrick