[geeks] Sun Ultra 1 Operating System

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 28 20:37:15 CST 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>> Date: 2006/11/28 Tue PM 02:50:21 CST
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] Sun Ultra 1 Operating System
>
>> Tue, 28 Nov 2006 @ 19:58 +0000, Sevan / Venture37 said:
>>
>>> Update the OBP to the latest version & slap OpenBSD on it. I've been
>>> running mine as my office gateway for the past year & it's been
>>> absolutely fine.
>>> 143Mhz U1 Creator with 256mb ram.
>> Ah, that's an idea.
>>
>> I had forgotten about OpenBSD for the U1.
>>
>> Good choice for a gateway.
>>
>> I just need to fully test it before comitting.
>
> I've got Ultra 1 bases available for actual S/H (part of the big haul, I'd not mentioned thm earlier because I thought U2s would be more interesting to folks on the list...
>
> If interested, contact me off-list.

The one caveat with OpenBSD for a U1 is that the OpenBSD hme driver,
last I knew, was still broken.  If it has an le (i.e, it's an actual U1,
not a U1E), that'll work fine, but unless it's been fixed in 4.0, don't
expect any kind of tolerable performance from a hme.  If you have
nothing *but* a hme, configure it for 10hdx and you should be able to
get 6 or 7 megabits through it, but if you configure it 100fdx or
100hdx, you'll get less throughput than at 10hdx.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location