[geeks] KVM dilemma...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Nov 27 18:20:28 CST 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 5:26 PM, Mark Benson wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2006, at 19:42, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
>> Since that's an old-world-mac and doesn't use OpenFirmware
>
> Pedants correction (sorry I had to), *all* PowerMacs with PCI slots
> use OpenFirmare. The beige boxes use n older strain called 'Old
> World', whereas the later machines use 'New World'. These were so
> names becuase 'New World' was designed from the ground up to support
> the new Mach kernel system used in what eventually became OS X. 'Old
> World' machines require the use of the  BootX patch to get around
> their limitations when using OS X. Needless to say this is why Apple
> quickly dropped support for 'Old World' hardware in OS X.
>
> All PCI machines do also support USB with the correct OS installed
> however (8.5 or later?) so using USB Keyboard and mouse is not an
> issue and as correctly stated you only need to attach an ADB keyboard
> to access boot-time key functions.

You are of course correct.  It's been a while since I started up any of
my "Old World" Macs.

It suddenly occurs to me that I also have a G3 250mhz 6500 to plug in
as well as a 9500.

I think the 9500 is going to be filled with drives and scsi cards and
become a server running Ubuntu PPC.

The 6500?  My TV. ;-)

Mike Hebel
----
Routine report, date July 20th: two days after the incident caused by a
man named Monev tension still runs high in the city. The events that
occurred there made me realize something all over again. It's an
awareness which becomes obscured as I keep regular contact with him,
that being, the reason Vash the Stampede is called the Humanoid
Typhoon, yet I still don't understand, why is it that so much trouble
falls into this man's lap?  - Meryl Stryfe