[geeks] KVM dilemma...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 17:17:12 CST 2006

On 27 Nov 2006, at 19:28, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> 1 - U10

Sun to PS/2 adapters are out there - check eBay for Belkin F1D082s I
got a box of 4 for about 50 bucks.

>> 1 - G3 8600 "Frankenmac"
>> 1 - Blue & White G3

I have an identical pair (well my old bus is a 9600 but it looks the
same ;o) ) on my KVM using Belkin USB to PS/2 adapters. They aren't
brilliant, I get key sticking occasionally, but for the amount of use
the Macs get these days it hardly matters.

>> 1 - O2

Are fine, although not all KVMs (notably my Compaq one being amongst
them) support Sync-on-Green and those that remap signals in the
middle will freak out. I know my Compaq KVM craps out if you plug an
SGI into it, but my little el cheapo KVM is fine with them.

>> 1 - AMD PC

No brainer :o)

>> 1 - G3 "Pismo" PowerBook

I use my Powerbook G4 as a roaming desktop (the battery died long
ago) so it's not hooked up. If I use it on my main desk I just sling
the k/b and mouse to one side.

>> Switching the monitor is obviously easy between all those systems
>> as long
>> as it supports the proper sync/refresh/etc.

See comment Re: SGI. Unless you use the onboard video (I hope not) on
the 8600 then you shouldn't need anything adpaterwise unless your U10
has a UPA card in, then you might need a 13W3 adpater.

>> Keyboards and mice however are a bit more problematic...
>> Suggestions?  I'd like to NOT have to get a $500 KVM but I'm not
>> holding
>> my breath. :-/

I did it using adapters for about the equivalent of US200. Like I
said, the USB adapters are not 100% great. I've tried a few brands
and either the keyboard works and the mouse screws up or vice-versa.
The Belkin Sun Adapter boxes work great but they have to relay the
mouse signal and it leads to less than smooth mouse tracking in X.
That doesn't bother me a lot tho as it is accurate, just low refresh
rate.
I have a cheap and cheerful (and in my opinion better) 4-port hooked
up relaying from my 8-port Compaq, but the mouse output from the
little KVM is crappy (it acts totally nutz on my Amiga 4000) and
doesn't relay right so I have 2 mice. Works like a charm otherwise
though.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"