[geeks] KVM dilemma...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Nov 27 13:37:24 CST 2006

Thus spake Dan Duncan:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> I'm finally starting to get systems set up at home in my office and I
>> would like to use a KVM but I only have a PS/2 one.  The problem?
>
> If you're willing to add a second monitor, you could try something
> like Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) and have one KVM
> for USB and one for PS/2 or a single monitor and chain the KVMs
> together with an adapter.  You'd have to hit 2 buttons (one on
> each KVM) for some servers but they can be cheap KVMs.
> KVM1 inputs:  server1 server2 server3 KVM2
> KVM2 inputs:  server4 server5 server6 server7
> If you get the same brand and model of KVM, some of them are
> designed to be chained together and you can use a single kb
> select sequence to address any host.

I've seen synergy in action and in theory it might solve my problem but
that means I need to add yet another system to host it.  Not desirable as
this is a tiny office and heat is currently an issue as well as space.

Besides, the Frankenmac is OS 9.2 and Synergy doesn't support that.

As for multiple buttons - umm...no.  I've been there in a business
environment and I refuse to end up "dialing" to use my desktops. ;-)

Mike
----
I forgot what I was going to say here...