[geeks] KVM dilemma...

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Nov 27 11:33:52 CST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Mike Hebel wrote:
> I'm finally starting to get systems set up at home in my office and I
> would like to use a KVM but I only have a PS/2 one.  The problem?

If you're willing to add a second monitor, you could try something
like Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) and have one KVM
for USB and one for PS/2 or a single monitor and chain the KVMs
together with an adapter.  You'd have to hit 2 buttons (one on
each KVM) for some servers but they can be cheap KVMs.
KVM1 inputs:  server1 server2 server3 KVM2
KVM2 inputs:  server4 server5 server6 server7
If you get the same brand and model of KVM, some of them are
designed to be chained together and you can use a single kb
select sequence to address any host.

I have a KVM on my desk at $WORK hosting a single monitor and keyboard
but 3 separate mice.  The KVM (or in my case, a KV) is ps/2 for kb/mouse
and one server (my Itanium2) is USB for kb/mouse and I have a USB to ps/2
converter for the keyboard.  I can't get the mouse to switch correctly for
some reason so I have 3 separate mice.  I rescued the KVM out of the trash,
so who knows.

> Suggestions?  I'd like to NOT have to get a $500 KVM but I'm not holding
> my breath. :-/

Separate mice aren't too horrible as long as they look different or are
labelled or something.  The KVM may not emulate the correct type of mouse
(wheel mouse or something) for servers that boot up without being selected
on the KVM so you have all sorts of fun there.

-DanD

# Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself:
# "Mankind." Basically, it's made up of two separate words- "mank" and "ind."
# What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.