[geeks] Macintosh 400k disk help

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 23 19:40:26 CST 2006

Fri, 24 Nov 2006 @ 00:35 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> What I am not sure is when did Apple drop support for 400k floppies?

Apple's info docs say that 400K support was dropped in 8.1.

I think it might have been dropped in 8.0 though.

MacOS 7.x should do 400K, though mine is back in the closet again right
now so I can't quickly test that.

Hardware I'm not sure about... some newer floppies can't write older
formats for some reason. Cutting corners I guess.

For example, I was dismayed to find my new Mitsumi would not write 720K
3.5" floppies, or even read them.

> The problem is that I don't know if the 7200 will write the 400k disks
> I may need.
>
> A source of disk images of 400k disks would be nice too.
>
> Any comments, positive or negative would be appreciated.

Find a good smuggler and I'll send you a IIci... :)

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty