[geeks] Macintosh 400k disk help

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Nov 23 16:35:10 CST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to write 400k Macintosh system and software
disks. I don't have any computers with 400k drives, but for completeness
I would like to be able to do it.

Currently the oldest computer I have is a 1400 Powerbook with a PPC processor
and running MacOS 9. I have several, one may be running 8.?.

I have several other OS9 systems, so I have no trouble writing floppy
disks. My problem is that My understanding is that I can write 800k
floppies using OS9 or OSX with a USB floppy drive. I can also write 1.4m
floppies on anything with a 1.4m drive Apple or not. I know that I can not
write 400k floppies from OS9.

What I am not sure is when did Apple drop support for 400k floppies?

I thought that the capability was never included in PPC Macs, or in
the operating system that would run on them.

I asked around for a 680x0 Mac, and so far have gotten two offers. One
was for a long term loan for an LC and the other is for a 7200 which is
a PCI based PPC machine. The 7200 is more attractive because I have
a really good video card that will work in it, it has Ethernet and I can
keep it.

I don't like borrowing things I have to return which most likely will need
some expense and effort (memory upgrade, new battery) to get going.
I have a SCSI Ethernet adapter I can stick on the LC, but the effort
to get it working will be considerable (no drivers).

The problem is that I don't know if the 7200 will write the 400k disks
I may need.

A source of disk images of 400k disks would be nice too.

Any comments, positive or negative would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838