[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod - An Illustrated Journey

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Nov 21 10:55:27 CST 2006

Well, the FCC-mandated limits on things like frequency response,
power, and modulation pretty much
guarantee that the FM signal won't be as good as a cassette adapter.

Generally, the limiting factor on how good a tape cassette sounds is
the tape itself, not the playback head.  Substituting what is
essentially a recording head for the tape should result in better
sound than you can get from tape, assuming proper gap alignment, etc.

The cassette adapter I use for my iPod doesn't align perfectly with
the playback head unless I reach in with my finger and wiggle the
cassette shell slightly to the right. Then it will play perfectly
until the next time the playback head retracts (like when the car is
turned off or I switch to the radio.)