[geeks] $100 One Laptop Per Child - grist for the mill

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Nov 19 15:43:05 CST 2006

Sun, 19 Nov 2006 @ 09:29 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> Just for sake of discussion how many people on this list would donate
> $100 to a village in Africa, India, China, etc? or even a child in
> the nearest inner city?

I don't want to send $100 overseas or to the ghetto, only to have it
serve as an excuse for continued apathy.  That's what happens an awful
lot.

I tend to give money when its uses area strictly controlled and where
I have reasonable expectations it is used as a catalyst rather than a
crutch.

Throwing money at the poor has never helped change their status.

So wether or not I would give depends on how I think the money will be
used, and what giving it will accomplish.

> Now how many would buy send $100 to MIT to provide them with a laptop?

I would only do this if it was combined with other efforts.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]