[geeks] $100 One Laptop Per Child - grist for the mill

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Nov 19 01:29:36 CST 2006

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 01:06:55AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Sure, I know.  Most of the people who already have cell phones probably
> don't need a $100 laptop.  On the other hand, most of the villages out
> in the middle of nowhere who have perhaps one phone for the whole
> village probably have rather more important uses for a thousand bucks
> than giving laptops to ten of the village's children.

Sure, but giving ten laptops to the village may be the only thing you
can get people to contribute.

Just for sake of discussion how many people on this list would donate
$100 to a village in Africa, India, China, etc? or even a child in
the nearest inner city?

Now how many would buy send $100 to MIT to provide them with a laptop?

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838