[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 18 11:53:32 CST 2006

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 @ 17:52 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 11:21:10AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Over here they use gamma ray scanners to inspect pipelines, check
> > vehicles for stray nukes, and more recently to detect cancer.
>
> Someone on this or the resuce list had a company name in their sig
> I did not recognize and looked it up. They made gama ray scanners
> that scanned containers.

I talked to a guy who worked on software for one to detect cancer. He
mentioned how ironic that was, but evidently gamma ray machines can now
detect cancer better than a lot of other tests, including some that
require invasive procedures.

> > It's pretty trivial to drive it across the border yourself, but I'm too
> > far away for that.
>
> If you could drive here, you would have to be Harry Potter. At one
> time you could take the train from London to Paris, the Orient Express to
> Istanbul, and a train to Jerusalem.

I meant trivial to drive across the border to Canada...

> > I always wondered what customs thought when a guy was about to pee on
> > himself to get a box of metal scrap.
>
> I once had an argument with a customs agent about how use some computer
> parts were. He did not see scratches and dust on them, so they must be
> new and I was lying. I lost.

So if we ever send you something, we need to abuse it first?  ;)

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]