[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Nov 18 09:52:40 CST 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 11:21:10AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Over here they use gamma ray scanners to inspect pipelines, check
> vehicles for stray nukes, and more recently to detect cancer.

Someone on this or the resuce list had a company name in their sig
I did not recognize and looked it up. They made gama ray scanners
that scanned containers.

I don't remember the name of the company, or the person.

> The way we used to do it here was by using certain shipping methods, how
> we filed the paperwork, and sometimes which city we mailed to.
>
> It's pretty trivial to drive it across the border yourself, but I'm too
> far away for that.

If you could drive here, you would have to be Harry Potter. At one
time you could take the train from London to Paris, the Orient Express to
Istanbul, and a train to Jerusalem.

> Canada wants a chunk of everything over $20 IIRC and so you try hard to
> not label things to customs thinks it is worth anything.
>
> I sometimes shipped computer equipment labeled as metal scrap.
>
> I always wondered what customs thought when a guy was about to pee on
> himself to get a box of metal scrap.

I once had an argument with a customs agent about how use some computer
parts were. He did not see scratches and dust on them, so they must be
new and I was lying. I lost.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838